Festive Bath Buns
A recipe from the award-winning Head Chef at Bishopstrow’s Warminster restaurant, Jon Los.
With Christmas just around the corner, it’s time to start getting your kitchen prep underway! Luckily for you, our Head Chef, Jon Los has shared his (not so) top secret recipe for these scrumptious Bath Buns. They are deliciously spicy and festive and will be sure to wow your friends and family this Christmas in Wiltshire…
300g strong white flour
300g warm water
180g dried cranberries
1 tbsp cinnamon powder
30g mixed peel
sugar nibs (I use crushed sugar cubes)
- Pre heat the oven to 180°C
- Place the flour, sugar, salt, butter, egg, yeast and cinnamon in a bowl and mix well until thoroughly incorporated.
- Add the cranberries and mixed peel and continue mixing
- Make a well in the middle of the mixture and pour in the water.
- Mix thoroughly until you have a smooth and elastic dough.
- Leave the dough to prove until it has doubled in size.
- Once proven, knock back the dough and knead, before portioning it up into 20g pieces.
- Roll into balls using the palm of your hand and the work surface.
- When all are rolled, brush with egg whites and sprinkle with sugar nibs and leave in a warm place to double in size, spraying with water occasionally so that they don’t dry out.
- Bake in the oven until golden brown in colour then remove onto a cooling rack.
- Make a syrup by boiling 100g water and 100g sugar and brush over the top of the buns whilst they are still warm and enjoy!
N.B. You can keep the buns in an airtight container for a few days and reheat when you wish to eat them.
So that’s how you make the perfect festive Bath buns- thanks Jon! If you want to sample more of Jon’s fantastic festive recipes, then why not join us in the award-winning Mulberry Restaurant in Wiltshire for a flavoursome festive feast? With Festive Lunch starting from just £21.95 per person, there’s really no excuse! You can find more information on festive dining here, or give us a call on 01985 212 312 to book.