Arrival
Departure
Number of guests
Number of rooms

History

Our House has quite a past you know…

Bishopstrow was recorded in the Domesday Book as far back as 1086, when it was held by Edward of Salisbury and is believed to be named after “Bishop’s tree”, the place where St Aldhelm’s staff grew into an Ash tree. 

Wiltshire features notorious sites such as Stonehenge and Avebury Stone Circles as well as being the training area for the British Army, and is characterised by pre-Roman archaeology with extensive background  aspects from the Mesolithic, Neolithic and Bronze age generations. Our river gardens feature a classic Doric Temple, a Doric rotunda, erected in 1770 which is licensed for Civil Ceremonies.

Our grounds have a Neolithic Long Barrow (a prehistoric mound of earth and stones built over a grave or group of graves) called King’s Barrow, excavated in the early 19thCentury and the 1990’s and located 100m north of the house. There is also a round barrow located nearby.

Bishopstrow House was built in the early 19th century after the original manor house in Bishopstrow from the late 18th Century was destroyed in a fire in 1817. The gardens from the original house still remain and are linked to the current house grounds by a tunnel under the road.

The house was built by William Temple using the Bath architect, John Pinch the elder and completed in 1821. The house remained a country house until 1976 when it was transformed into a ten-bedroom hotel when purchased by Kurt Schiller.

About Us